CREATING A COMMUNITY THAT DEVELOPS IN OUR YOUTH THE POWER
AND CONVICTION TO MAKE HEALTHY CHOICES
Connecting Youth relies on the support of local schools; local, state and federal grants and the generous support of the local community. Please make a donation today!
Celebrating the Season: Keeping Kids Safe and Healthy During Graduation and Summer Festivities
Graduation is a great time to celebrate kids’ accomplishments. It’s a time to reflect on all the memories shared, and to consider all the possibilities that lie ahead. But graduation can also be a major transition in a teen’s life, and the pressure of succeeding, fitting in, and cultivating a new social group in college or in the workforce can be stressful. Offering guidance during this phase can help kids stay focused on their goals and avoid negative pressures.
How do we support our teens during this time? Consider the following strategies to ensure your kids have a safe environment in which to celebrate graduation:
- Start a conversation. When your child is heading out to a social gathering with their friends, talk to them first about expectations around alcohol and other drugs.
- Make connections. Get to know the parents who are hosting graduation parties to ensure they’ll be present and engaged.
- Monitor their activities. Have your child check in with you when they return home.
- Lock it up. Keep alcohol and other substances, like prescription medications, stored securely and out of sight.
- Be supportive. Remind your teen that you support their decisions not to drink alcohol or use drugs.
Learn more about these strategies and how to take action from ParentUp (http://parentupvt.org/).
provide a safe environment for
Approach securing your prescriptions the same way you would other valuables in your home, like jewerly or cash. Click here to learn more.
You are your kids’ #1 influence. Talk to your kids about the dangers of alcohol and other drugs.