One of our main goals is to empower young people to make healthy choices. We call this "peer prevention." Our peer prevention programs offer students opportunities to:
- Become a voice for healthy choices in their schools and communities
- Connect with other students in the county and across the state doing similar work in their schools
- Engage in and coordinate fun drug-free activities
- Attend State and local trainings for youth, such as Chittenden County Above the Influence Leadership Retreat,Vermont Kids Against Tobacco and Our Voices Exposed Rally, and the Working with Youth Conference.
- Facilitate student-led awareness activities such as "Ghost-Out" and "Mock Crash" to raise awareness about the dangers of impaired driving; "Red Ribbon Week" to raise awareness about drug use among middle school youth and "Dialogue Nights" to help youth and community adults communicate about tough issues.
CY Student Leadership groups thrive in the middle schools and high school in Chittenden South.
Under the group names such as:
Through regular meetings and activities, students get the word out! Their goals include reducing underage and binge drinking, reducing youth smoking rates and to creating and support youth leaders.
These groups also host nationwide campaigns at HCS including: Red Ribbon Week, Free My Ride, Smoke Free Zone, Kick Butts Day, the Great American Smokeout, Counter Balance, and Sticker Shock.
Above the influence teen leadership conference
Every year CY collaborates with the other Chittenden County prevention coalitions to offer an Above the Influence Youth Conference to students.
The retreats alternate annually between a middle school and high school focus. Above the Influence offers students an opportunity to come together with like minded peers and ask themselves the big questions about “Who am I really?” and “Who do I want to be?” all while celebrating the individual and making healthy choices by remaining Above the Influence.
The conferences offer inspiring speakers, leadership development, and educational activities, all planned by youth! More information about Above the Influence can be found here: http://abovetheinfluence.com/.
Youth to youth international
Every summer CY sends students and adults from it's CVU Student Leadership Groups to Youth to Youth International.
Youth to Youth is a recognized leader in engaging youth in positive change. Their one-of-a-kind conference experience, led by trained teens alongside adults, is the training that groups across the country count on annually to serve as a vital catalyst to initiate or improve their youth prevention programming. Students who attend meet and befriend other substance-free teens from all over the country, develop skills to make positive choices, attend interactive and informative workshops, hear nationally known speakers, develop action plans to create change back home in their schools and communities, learn vital leadership qualities and skills they can use for a lifetime, and most importantly, HAVE FUN!
More information can be found at: http://www.youthtoyouth.net/national-international/conferences/_